Wednesday, June 30, 2021

It All Glorifies God

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)

How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. 
                                                                                                           (2 Cor 12:1-10 KJV)

Thanks be to God for both the awesome experience of visions in the heavenly realms as well as the suffering that we endure for Christ's sake in this world.

St. Paul said that he knew a man who visited the heavenly realms. Whether it was physically or spiritually as in a vision he was not sure. He claims it was not him who had this glorious experience and he would be a fool to claim otherwise. However, as this event is related it revealed to us the awesome things that God can do and how He can speak to us in anyway He chooses. In the telling of this event the glory of God is revealed to us. 

St. Paul's personal  experience of God's glory was experienced in some sort of infirmity which called a "thorn in his flesh." His experience of God's glory was found in trusting that God was with him in his infirmity, in persecutions, and in distresses for Christ's sake for when he was weakened God helped him through and made him strong to endure all things. It is not we; but, the abiding presence of Christ in us that gives us strength resulting in giving glory to God.

Therefore we take pleasure in our weaknesses because our ability to overcome by the power of the Spirit of Christ glorifies our Father in heaven and to Jesus Christ our Savior and Lord.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: