Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Not For The Fear Of Hell

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 
                           (John 1:12-13 KJV)

I was reminded this week of something a confirmation student once asked me. That question was:  "Why do I want to go to heaven?"  Why indeed!?  What brought this to mind was something I heard this week. Not a direct quote; but, what I understood this person to imply strongly was: "We need to repent so that we do not go to hell." 

Hmmm....  Still knots in my stomach, days later, over that one! That reasoning is really hard for me to grasp for it certainly is not my reason for wanting "to go to heaven."  You see, I am a child of God. We have a tremendous Father in heaven who truly loves us. By faith alone in Christ alone we have been reconciled to our Father in heaven. I love Him and I want to be in his presence every moment of every day. That why I want to abide in heaven.

On the night in which he was betrayed Jesus told the disciples that he would be leaving them; but, that they should not be worried. He was going to prepare a place for them in his Father's house; our Father's house. He told them:

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
                                                                                    (John 14:1-6)

The truth is humankind was kicked out of paradise for despising God's word. They did not listen to him. What a great loss that was! Humankind could no longer walk with God in the place he had prepared for humankind. But, through the sacrifice that Jesus made for us we can now live with God in paradise; in the heavenly kingdom. 

It is not for the fear of hell that we should desire to go to heaven. It is for the opportunity to live in our loving Father's presence for all of eternity. After all, who doesn't want to love and be loved?

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: