Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Jezebel

Photo by Rev Judy Mattson And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword.


Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time.
                            (1 Kings 1:1-2 KJV)

I have this real vivid picture of Jezebel in my head. Some things you picture you just can't forget. My Grandma Hill was a very strict Lutheran. Now, I have no clue what Jezebel actually looked like but my grandmother seriously portrayed her as a not nice lady of the night. I will never forget her comparing females who wore red lipstick to Jezebel. 

I have never been able to wear lipstick except maybe a little clear gloss one and then. Every time I've even thought about wearing some, I thought about my grandmother and how disappointed she would be and decided against it. Some things we learn never disappear. They are imprinted on our hearts and minds forever.

Other than really judging women who wore lipstick; she was a good, patient, and  a very loving woman. Although, she may seem a little strict by today's standards and even the standards of the sixties I learned a lot from her. She put up with a lot of stuff being thrown at her. Yet, she put up with it out of her great love for others. I witnessed how she cared for her family and her neighbors no matter what trouble they might be stirring up. It was also very evident how very much she loved the Lord.  She was a sinner as we all are. But, in Christ she was a saint!

My hope is that when I am gone from this earth I have lived a life that has been  an example of patient and loving service to others.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: