Sunday, August 8, 2021

Knowing God Is God

Photo by Rev Judy Mattson
Psalm 46:10
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.                                                                               
                                                                                     (John 6:35-40 KJV)

Doubt can creep in when one is least expecting it. Trouble may came and you wonder where God is. Does he really exist and if he does why would he allow this to happen. We cannot see him face to face now and sometimes it might be hard to grasp this Father in heaven. I have heard him described as a bearded old man living in the clouds or other such absurd analogies and those descriptions coming from adults! SMH!! It is absurd to make fun of something or someone that one does not know. 

But, those who worship him, do know him. As Job declared that he would one day see God face to face so do those who know and love him declare it. 

"For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me. 
                                                                                             (Job 19:25-27)

Our God is not some far away god who sits on a cloud. He is here with us, in us, above us, all around us. He is not an old man either. He is eternal and he is God Almighty. We do not have to see him face to face in order to know him. We read and hear the testimony of his many children. We witness his acts of love and kindness everyday in the Christians around us. We behold his creation and we are in awe of his handiwork.

Thomas knew Jesus. He was a follower of Jesus. They were friends. Yet, when Jesus rose from the dead Thomas doubted that this could possible be true. He had see him with his own eyes to believe it.  

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:29)

We don't have to see him to believe. We are witnesses to his grace and his mercy and his love. Blessed are you who believe for you have received everlasting life in the presence of God Almighty!

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: