Friday, August 20, 2021

The Fake Lights Would Destroy Hope

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson

Psalm 16:1-9 KJV

Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.

O my soul, thou hast said unto the Lord, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;

But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.

Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.

The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.

The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.

I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.

I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.

+++
In these dark days it can be difficult to have hope. I have found myself reminding myself that I need to pray for the safety of multitude of civilians of many nations that have been left behind in Afghanistan. I have to remind myself because to tell you the truth I find that I have fallen into the trap of having little hope that they will all or even the majority be able to get out of Afghanistan safely.

Yet, without hope we cannot move forward to secure their escape. Hope keeps us moving and doing.  Hope will not leave us destitute and depressed. Hope will lead us to action. 

Our hope is misplaced when we it is based on any one or group of persons in government leadership.  They are not our saviors. There is only one savior. His name is Jesus. In him our hope must lie.

The world can be a very dark place. But, a light has come into the world. Sadly, too many prefer the dark and will not come into the marvelous light of Christ.

Years ago, I had a vision that I will never forget while at a Renewel In Missouri Conference. That vision was of a candle with a great light surrounded by a circle of smaller candles with very dim lights. One would think that those smaller candles were attracted to the great light. But, no. The candles with dim lights were surrounding the great light in the attempt to put it out so that their own lights could shine. So goes the world today. Egos of so many world leaders as well as others attempt to outshine the rest. They do not listen to the counsel of God. They are guided and guide others by a false light that is not of Christ but of their own imaginations. 

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. (2 Cor 11:13-14)

We can never put out the light of Christ even as many who profess to be Christians; profess to love; profess to care; try as they might to snuff out the light of Christ so that their own fake lights might shine.

Again... there is only one light that can be trusted. That light is the light that has come into the world for the sake of all of humankind. His name is Jesus the Christ. In him alone our hope must lie.

Let us pray: Lord God, have mercy upon us. Have mercy on all who are in harms way in Afghanistan and around the world. Have mercy on us filling us with faith, hope, and love through the power of the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus the Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: