Monday, November 6, 2017

What Motivates Meanness?

Psalm 70 NIV

Hasten, O God, to save me;
    come quickly, Lord, to help me.
May those who want to take my life
    be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
    be turned back in disgrace.
May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!”
    turn back because of their shame.
But may all who seek you
    rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say,
    “The Lord is great!”
But as for me, I am poor and needy;
    come quickly to me, O God.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    Lord, do not delay
                                    
The Psalmist makes another plea for help. He prays to be saved from his enemy, again! David appears to have a lot of enemies. He faces much persecution and he faces it often.

I often find myself wondering exactly why it is that so much of humankind thinks that it is necessary to bring ruin to others. I particularly have a hard time understanding, not so much the outright meanness, but the pervasive passive-aggressive verbal, mental, and emotional abuse that is so commonly inflicted upon others. What motivates people to be so hateful? I am not sure if they even have a clue how much they hurt others, by their self-centered life-styles. If they did, would it stop, would they stop?  Or, would the meanness just get worse as they revel in their ability to persecute others?

The only thing that I can surmise is that they simply do not know the LORD. They may imply or even say that they are Christians, but the fruit does not bear witness to that claim. They know a little about Jesus, but they do not know Him.  I cannot help but feel empathy for them.  It must be a very lonely place that they are at. In the meantime, they continue to attack even those who love them.

So, for this morning, I think I shall pray: Hasten, O God to save our enemies, open ears, hearts, minds to a greater understanding of Your Word, Your good will for them and all people, that we all might be helped.  

'The LORD is great!" (vs 4) He is greater than great! He is my help and my salvation. He is your help and your salvation!

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: