Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Sabbath Rest

"And on the seventh day God finished the work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all the work that he had done." Genesis 2:2

God ordered things so that we would have time to rest from our labors. The Sabbath was given to us for this day of rest. Today is the Sabbath. Tomorrow, Sunday, is a very busy day for me. Today, I hope that I can spend at least most of the day resting in the presence of God. We all need to rest at times. Our Father in heaven loves us enough to command it.

I normally need only a few hours a day or to be able to actually rest on the Sabbath to be rejuvenated. I don't need long vacations to rest. Vacations are nice; but, don't be misled. Vacations can be very busy times. In fact, mine are usually so busy that there is rarely time to even write my morning blog, which I find to be very restful for me as it is actually a part of my morning devotionals. And, then... what happens when you get back to work? Overload! Lots of work to catch up on.

I don't mind vacations all that much. But, I have to be honest. I prefer to spend my time off in the backyard of my home. I spend an awful lot of time running around during any given normal day. When I have time to rest, I want to rest. I want to relax. I don't want to fight the traffic or the crowds. I want to spend quiet, less hectic time with family and friends. I want to spend time with Jesus. I can never get enough quiet time with him. I him we can find real rest, rest that will refresh both your body and soul.

"Come to me,) all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matt 11:28).

 God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: