Tuesday, June 19, 2018

God Pleasers Not People Pleasers


Speak the Truth; Jesus is the Truth
Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. (James 3:1 NIV)
 
Today, I have officially reached retirement age. No, I'm not retiring; although, I have just gone down to a commitment of very reduced hours in order to mentor a seminary student for the next year. Then, I will retire or at least find something else to do besides pastor a congregation. The older I get the more guilty I feel for not correcting or confronting those things that dishonor God and disrespect humankind more often than I do. There are times that I have chosen to keep my lips sealed to avoid further conflict. I am not sure that this has always been the right way to go. Yes, of course, I have confronted flagrant offenses more often than not; but, there are so many days I wonder if I have done it enough. I have been told that I am not to be judging others. Is telling the truth really judging?
 
Years ago, I worked at a Juvenile Correctional Facility as the Substance Abuse Director. I was also the volunteer chaplain. One Sunday, I did nothing more than read the Sermon on the Mount to the youth. I did not preach. I merely presented them the truth according to the words of Jesus from St. Matthew. The next day I was called into the office because one of the teen-age boys claimed I had said his mother was going to hell. I did no such thing. I simply read the Gospel. Confronted with truth we often find ourselves guilty.
 
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Heb 4:12)
 
As each year passes I wonder more and more if I am guilty of not speaking the truth enough by choosing to keep my lips shut. I am hoping that the closer I get to actual retirement the more I will be able to open my lips no matter what kind of kick back I receive and no matter who the truth offends. After all; who am I supposed to be pleasing: God or humankind?  St. Paul wrote to the Galatians, "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people?  If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." (Gal 1:10) This is a question every pastor and teacher; every Christian must ask themselves.
 
May God help us to be truth speakers; God pleasers, not people pleasers.
 
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: