Monday, July 23, 2018

Welcome the Little Children!

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matt 19:24 NIV)
Disney World, Universal Studies, Epcot Center, SeaWorld, and Legoland are just a few of the wonderful family vacation spots in Florida. Children are welcome to vacation here! But, what about live in Florida?
Are children welcome to live in Florida? I am sure there are many of areas in Florida that they are. But, there are also multitudes of areas in Florida that they are not. Before moving to the east coast, I did not fathom that there would be so many 55+ communities. For the past few months I have been trying to help my son and family find a new home. It has not been easy to find an affordable one and even the mobile homes that are affordable all seem to be in 55+ communities. My husband and I actually live in a 55+ community; but, no one in my son's family is near our age!
This is not the first time I've run into discrimination against young people. Many congregations all around the country that I have known about also cater to us more elderly persons. If a child whines or moves wrong in church the parents get that look that tells them either take that child outside or to the cry room that they spent money to prepare for just such a purpose. Many congregations actually have Sunday School for the children during Worship or they have a separate Children's Church to segregate the children and the adults. What has happened to us being "all God's children?" 
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Jesus desires that the little children go to him. For some reason I thought that we were to follow in Jesus' footsteps. Discriminating against anyone for any reason, including age, just doesn't seem like a Jesus thing to do.
May all God's people open their hearts and minds, their homes and their congregations to the little children of God.
God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: