Saturday, April 13, 2019

Trust God; Not Man



While I live will I praise the Lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.

Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
                                                                                Psalm 146:2-3 KJV


Who can save a congregation? When I first came to my present congregation, they were already in trouble. The last two pastors had left unexpectedly. The one prior to that had helped to start the church and then retired. He chose to stay in the congregation. I had been told that there were over 100 members; but, when I got here, I found that there were much less than that and still on the decline. The budget was very, very tight as there were some major financial commitments outside of staff that had to be kept. I was actually asked by another pastor if God had sent me here to see the church grow or to help close it as a hospice chaplain to the congregation. My response was: "I do not know. Only God knows that." Those outstanding debts of the congregation are still there and many of the founding members have moved away to live closer to their children. We have new members and we have a seminary student in training. But, the question remains: "does God intend for this congregation to grow or to close?"

I wonder often how many of the people who worship here trust and praise the Lord for all things. Do they trust the Lord or do they trust their pastor and other servant/leaders to keep the doors open? I know that we do have some who are totally committed to the Lord. I am unsure how many. If anyone has trusted me  or the servant/leadership here, they have put their trust in the wrong place. If anyone thinks that their new pastor can save them and if the new pastor thinks he can save them, they have put their trust in the wrong place. Salvation comes only from the Lord. Do not trust anyone before the Lord. However, it is good and right to trust Christ working in and through those whom he has called to serve. 

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Gal 2:20)

When I was very young I trusted just about everyone and I was burned an awful lot. I came to trust no one. But, as I came to know the Lord more intimately, I came to a place of trust again. I could trust again because I trust that God has a plan. It's not man's plan; but, His plan. I still get burned now and then. But, I am confident that Christ is at work in and through me, no matter how bad I might feel that I am being burned. As Paul wrote: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Rom 8:28) 

I know that I can trust that God's good will is being done. Whether any particular congregation or community opens their doors or shuts them it is according to God's plan. Individual congregations may come and go; but, the Church will continue to grow and go out into the world to share the Good News. I have no doubt about that.

The Israelites and their backsliding is a history we should all remember. When they started trusting in themselves or their rules or laws or anything else, God would work some work to convince them to turn back to him; like having them wander in the wilderness for forty plus years. 

May all of God's people remember to faithfully serve and praise the Lord and not  some person or a building and just maybe God will decide to keep the doors open.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: