Monday, August 3, 2020

Ignore Outward Appearances

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson
But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. (1 Sam 16:17 KJV)

In many cases first impressions are the lasting impressions.

When the Lord sent Samuel out to anoint the next king of Israel he sent him out to anoint a shepherd. He sent him out to anoint the one who was not able to even present himself with his brothers before Samuel because he was in the fields working. The Lord had not chosen any of David's older brothers. He had chosen the youngest one; the ruddy looking one.

I had gone into Walmart a few years back to get some things I needed to work on an outdoor project. I was wearing the clothes I'd been wearing to work in.  I did not really clean up before I went because I would be going straight back to work after I purchased what I needed.  A clerk followed me around the store. I felt like she was watching me to make sure I wasn't stealing anything. I felt like I was being judged by my appearance. This was not the first time this has happened. People do tend to judge by appearances. 

We can never know what the circumstances are surrounding how or why someone may appear to us upon meeting them. Did they have an emergency earlier? Are they ill? Are they disheveled because they are running late or maybe they had to crunch time because someone needed their help?

There are also times when people can put a very good face on at your first meeting. This face does not always reflect what is going on in their hearts and minds. This face could very well be for show. Months or years later you finally get to realize the true intent of their hearts.

This is not to say that all people have bad intents. It is a reminder that we should not be judging people by our first impressions. What they first appear to be is not always what they are. 

Do not judge others by what they look like or even what they say. It takes time to know another's true intentions. You and I might be fooled. But, God is not. Listen to what he tells you deep within your heart. 

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: