Friday, August 28, 2020

Will You Lay Down Your Life For Me?

Photo by Pr. Judy Mattson

Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.

Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake.

Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice. 
                                                                                  (John 13:26-38 KJV)

How will we answer the question that Jesus asked of Peter. "Will you lay down your life for me?"

We make so many commitments. We plan to do so much including share the love of God in Christ Jesus with all people. Yet, we often fall short. Peter loved Jesus. He fully intended to be a faithful follower. He wanted to. But, he was not ready to follow Jesus to his death. Not yet, anyway. This faithful follower would desert Jesus when Jesus was arrested and taken to his trial and execution. In the end though, Peter did follow Jesus as Peter was crucified on a cross for his faith thirty some years following the crucifixion of Jesus.

Jesus loves you so much that he was willing to lay down his life for you. Will you take up your cross and follow? Will you lay down your life for him?

“When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: