Monday, March 11, 2019

Imprisoned

If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the spirit of glory, which is the Spirit of God, is resting on you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, a criminal, or even as a mischief maker. (1 Peter 4:14-15 NRSV)

I admit it! I am a stickler for the law. I strive to do things according to the law and I like for people around me to do the same. It doesn't always happen; but, that's the way I like to see life go. Everything just seems to go so much smoother when everything is done according to what is right and lawful. Not everyone always appreciates me reminding them what is and what isn't lawful. But, that is who I am. I prefer things to go smoothly and I really prefer not to visit anyone in jail if it can be avoided. It is very saddening to have to visit someone who has lost their freedom because they chose to do the wrong and unlawful thing just because they felt they should be free to do these things.

Unfortunately, there are also innocent people who have found themselves in jail. Some because they were falsely accused. Many followers of Jesus have also found themselves in jails, in prison, even executed for his name's sake. St. Paul spent a whole lot of time in prison before he was executed. His time in prison was a fruitful time, ultimately glorifying God.

If we are going to suffer, let it be to the glory of God and not because we are murderers, thieves, any sort of criminal or even as a mischief maker.

May God help us to live in peace. Pr. J

No comments: