Friday, March 8, 2019

The Consolation of God


Old Sheldon Church Cemetery


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all consolation, who consoles us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to console those who are in any affliction with the consolation with which we ourselves are consoled by God. (2 Cor 1:3-4 NRSV)

Lately, I've been noticing that whenever I hear words relating to death or dying that I feel a strange sort of comfort come over me. My whole body relaxes and my spirit is quieted. I can only attribute this to the knowledge that Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live..." (John 11:25)

When I am afflicted and that seems to be quite often, I remember St. Paul's words to the Philippians: "It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again." (Philippians 1:20-26)

There is great comfort in the knowledge that what is visible to us today is not all there is. There is more. God is the more in which lies our hope. Living in His perpetual presence is the consolation we find no matter what trials we might encounter here in this world. 

So, yes, I find comfort in the hope of living in the Kingdom of God; in His presence, where there will be no more mourning or crying or pain for His people. (Rev 21:3-4) May God grant you his comfort and peace in the face of any and all afflictions.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: