Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Beside Still Waters

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;He leads me beside the still waters.
Psalm 23:2

He leads me beside still waters and not just figuratively. I have been blessed once again to live by still waters. The photo above was taken by my granddaughter in my new backyard. My last back yard was the mouth of a river. This one is a creek. I have been told that every now and then in the winter, I might see a manatee in this creek. I don't know how true that is; but, looking forward to seeing one, again. A few decades ago, I had the privilege of swimming with them. That, I understand is no longer allowed as they are awesome creatures and must be protected.

I have been most fortunate to live most of my life with a creek or river or even a Great Lake or ocean within at least walking distance of my home. I remember catching minnows for fishing in the creek near my grandmother's home when I was very young.

The waters reassure me of God's many promises to us. They are a reminder that through the waters of baptism our sins are washed away and we are born again. They are also a great reminder that there are some things that human beings cannot control as every now and then God will stir up even the stillest of waters. But, most of all the still waters remind of the peace that can be found only in Jesus Christ. No matter what storms might come; the water reminds me of God's peace.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: