Sunday, June 5, 2016

Decisions

Whom or what shall we follow? What do we want out of this life? Where are our priorities?

At the present time, my husband and I are considering whether we should purchase yet another home; this time in Florida. We have looked at one that would suit us. I will need to turn in the paperwork to get approval for it tomorrow.

This morning, as I prepare to be installed as the pastor at Christ Lutheran Church in Bunnell, I am thinking that it would be more beneficial to just live in the RV. I am not sure if I want another commitment to more property in this world.

Pastoring a congregation is a huge commitment and worldly attachments tend to distract us from what God calls us to do. Even the simple (or not so simple) act of looking for a new home takes away time that good be better used in service to God.  I am also not sure where God will call me in a year or two or three. I cannot help but wonder this morning if owning a home here in Florida would become a hindrance in my willingness to go wherever and whenever He would call?

When Jesus called those first disciples to follow him, they dropped everything. They left their homes, their families, their vocations to follow. It seems like it was such an easy thing for them. Yet, today, it is not easy. The law will bind us to many of the commitments we might make. It is not so easy to get out of some of them. Too many worldly commitments makes it much more of a challenge to seek first the kingdom of God and follow Jesus in the Kingdom of God.

May God help us to always be ready to follow wherever and whenever He would call.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: