Thursday, October 11, 2018

A Refuge From The Storm

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
   for my hope is from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
   my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
   my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.
Trust in him at all times, O people;
   pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us.  Selah
                       Psalm 62:5-8 NRSV


Storms in the south; storms in the north, in the east, and in the west! The storms this past week or so and the storms that are impending have surely shaken many people. They have destroyed much property. They have brought fear into the hearts of many. We have yet to see if the storm in the south has taken any lives. We will see what is left; who is left, when the waters recede.


There is nothing that we can do when a storm approaches; but, to do whatever  we can to attempt to protect lives. Stationary property is at the mercy of the wind and the water. There is nothing we can do about that. One day it is ours. The next day it is gone. Even though this Psalm of David confesses that neither he nor we should be shaken; I cannot say that I am not shaken at the losses. 


I am shaken at the loss at the loss of life and property. But, I am confident that my soul is safe. I am confident that all who believe that Jesus died that we might live will indeed live in the presence of God for all eternity. In that I am not shaken. 


Sadly, we will suffer many losses in our lives here on earth. But, not one who believes will suffer from the loss of their life in the Kingdom of God. We remain confident that God is our deliverer. He is our fortress and refuge. In Him we shall trust for our deliverance; for our salvation; for our eternal life in Christ.


God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: