Monday, October 1, 2018

As My Beloved is Dead; So am I

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. (Gen 2:24 NKJV)

Over the last couple of weeks I have commended an elderly sister in Christ into the hands of Almighty God; informed her husband of her death; and attended her funeral. It was both heartbreaking and reassuring to be with her husband and to witness his love for her. The Lord's Prayer was said many times in the last week as was the Shepherd's Psalm and many other prayers, as well. Between prayers, he lamented, "I am dead." 

This man who has lived on earth for over one hundred years knew what it meant to be one, completely one, with his wife. Assuredly, he was also an individual; but, when God joined them together as husband and wife they truly became one flesh. When she died, it was as though he died. In fact, a part of him has. This woman who was joined to him as one flesh is no longer with him in this world. A huge part of him has been ripped from his life. It is not as though he wishes death for himself; although, he might desire greatly to go home to the Lord, as well. The emptiness within him feels as though there is no life left within him as is common when we lose someone that we love so deeply. The emptiness; the grief, swallows up the breath, the life from within us. It leaves behind the emptiness; the absolute aloneness, of death.

Yet, he is not alone. He has hope. He has hope that as he was joined with his wife as one flesh; through, the gift of the Spirit of Christ, he will always be joined; he will always be reconciled to God our Father, our Lord Jesus, and to all of the people of God. "....nothing shall separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  (Rom 8:38-39) In this lies our comfort and hope.

And, so we pray with him: 
        
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.
                                              (Psalm 23:4-6)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: