Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Jesus Welcomes Sinners





Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he said, “Take this and divide it among yourselves; for I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But see, the one who betrays me is with me, and his hand is on the table.

                                                                               Luke 22:17-21 NRSV

Jesus is known for welcoming everyone. He is most well known for dying for all people. He reaches out to everyone; that all who believe him might be saved.

I have been excluded from more than one communion table. Lately, I have heard from others who also have been. I must admit that there have definitely been times when I considered excluding someone from the Lord's Table. But, I did not. I knew that if I did, it would probably have been because of my bias and desire to just not see that person receive the gift of forgiveness and reconciliation with the Body of Christ, at least not at that time. But, the Sacrament of Holy Communion is not mine to impart or withhold. It is a gift from God. 

I also find it a bit of problem with inviting all who believe and are baptized to the table (as is the tradition of my denomination) then tell them publicly once they arrive at the table that the invitation didn't include them. Who; after all, am I to judge them? 

St. Paul instructed the people at Corinth to discern for themselves whether they were worthy or not. He wrote: "Examine yourselves, and only then eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For all who eat and drink without discerning the body, eat and drink judgment against themselves. For this reason many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. But if we judged ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world." (1 Cor 11:28-32) 

St. Paul was not just addressing people who did not recognize the real presence of Jesus. He was also addressing the inability of the people to recognize all of the members of the Body of Christ. They did not wait for others before they ate. They thought only of themselves. They judged themselves to be better than the others and did not consider that they should have to wait to eat and drink with them. St. Paul encouraged them to examine themselves and we should do this and not just before partaking of the Lord's Supper; but, daily. St. Paul did not encourage them to examine others. He did not encourage them to confess anyone's short-comings; their lack of faith; their sins; but, their own. (If, in fact, I felt someone was grievously harming themselves by partaking of this Holy Meal, I would invite them to discuss it; but, in private.)

According to the Gospel of St. Luke, Jesus shared the meal which he declared was his body and blood with all of the twelve and one of them he knew full well would betray him.

Jesus welcomed sinners and still does. 

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: