Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Brood Of Vipers; God's Children


But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit worthy of repentance.                          (Matt 3:7-8 NRSV)

John the Baptist is one of my favorite biblical characters. Can you imagine if I went around saying to people, "...You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Well, actually I do say things similar to this at times, I just don't recall actually calling anyone a viper. Oops, I take that back, too. I do recall an occasion or two when I've let someone know that they were acting like a snake.

Here is John, baptizing with water for repentance and along comes Jesus, the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire, requesting to be baptized by John.

John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.” (Matt 3:14-17)

Anointed by the Spirit of God at baptism, we hear from that same Spirit, that same God, welcome us into His family with these reconciling words, "You are my beloved child, with whom I am well pleased."

A brood of vipers, we are. Yet, by His grace, we are His children.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: