Monday, January 21, 2019

I Believe That I Cannot Believe

"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you."
                                                                                    John 14:26 NRSV
 
No photos today as I am at a theological conference on the Holy Spirit and have limited resources; a very old laptop that does not cooperate.  Speaking of cooperating.... Here's a very sticky thing for people to grasp:  The Holy Spirit calls and gathers us. We don't go to Christ alone. We don't do it. We can do nothing without God. We can not even believe without the Holy Spirit. We cannot even call Jesus, Savior and Lord, without the Holy  Spirit. But, we like to claim credit, anyway. So, we use words like let him into our hearts; we cooperate with him. These are all ways to glorify ourselves; like we somehow have done something good for ourselves. That is our ego talking. God gets the glory! If it is us we are trying to lift up; then we are committing idolatry, lifting ourselves up to be god.
 
A refresher from Luther's Small Catechism (CPH) for those who may have forgotten that God the Holy Spirit brings us to and keeps us in the faith. We do not. 

The Third Article: Sanctification

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
 
What does this mean? I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith. In the same way He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith. In this Christian church He daily and richly forgives all my sins and the sins of all believers. On the Last Day He will raise me and all the dead, and give eternal life to me and all believers in Christ.
 
This is most certainly true.
 
It would be a good idea to quit worrying about what you have to do to be a more faithful Christian. The Holy Spirit is busy bringing you to it!
 
God's Peace - Pr. J
 

No comments: