Friday, January 11, 2019

Fear Nothing

Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. With the Lord on my side I do not fear. What can mortals do to me? (Psalm 118:5-6 NRSV)

Fear is a horrible thing. Fear of failure is one of the most horrible of all. It will stop us in our tracks. It will keep us from trusting our own abilities. It will keep us from reaching out to others for help, for love, for anything. Fear will destroy any chances of happiness; any chances of joy or peace. Fear will keep us from glorifying God.

What can man do to us? Humankind can do nothing to us without the Lord knowing. Often when I faced things that might make me a few powerful enemies, I considered what Jesus told his followers: "Do not fear, those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matt 10:28) We are to fear no one.  After all, what can humankind do to us that would be worse than being separated from God forever? Throw us in jail? Kill us? There is nothing worse than not knowing the love of God. There is nothing worse than not abiding in Christ and in the Kingdom of God. There is nothing anyone can do because they do not have the authority to take away the inheritance that was purchased for us by the blood of Jesus.

All who love the Lord and abide in Him do not have a thing to fear for God is with them. Things may get rough (they often do); things may cause distress. Call upon Him in your time of trouble and He will be there. Do not fear; but, live the life that God has given to you. Be all that He created you to be and that, my friends, is not someone who is afraid to live or to die in Christ.

Have courage and be who God created you to be for His glory.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: