Thursday, January 31, 2019

The Weary Will Rise Up With Wings Like Eagles


Even youths will faint and be weary,
and the young will fall exhausted;
31 
but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
they shall walk and not faint.
(Isaiah 40:30-31 NRSV)

I am no longer a youth. There are days that cause me to wonder why I have not fallen completely exhausted. There are days when I would like to. But, for those who are called by the Lord to serve, we do not fall. We might lie down for a bit; but, we do not crumble to the ground. We may have to wait a bit until the Lord has completely renewed our strength. We do not give up because we know that if we wait upon him, he will surely lift us up.  

While kayaking along the shore of Lake Superior, years ago, I got caught in a storm. There were no roads; no towns; not even houses for many, many miles. I had my cell phone on me; but, there was no cell service along that stretch of the shore. I kept paddling for as long as I could because my husband was waiting for me about ten miles down the shore with lunch and I knew he would be panicking when he didn't hear from me. The going was very slow. It finally got so rough that I finally had to pull onto a sandy beach. I was hesitant in doing so because I knew although the landing would go okay; I wasn't sure how I'd launch again if the wind and waves did not calm down.

I pulled the kayak up under a tree and ate lunch. I lay down to watch the water. It didn't take me long to fall asleep. When I opened my eyes, I was looking into the eyes of a bald eagle. He was sitting in the branches above me, watching me. He was so close that I could see every single wet feather on his head. He, too, had taken a break from the storm. When he finally flew back out over the water, I knew that I had rested on that shore long enough. Although the winds had not slowed down much, my strength had been renewed. I was ready. As expected, I got pretty wet launching the kayak and it took twice the time it should have to get to where my husband was waiting and worrying. But, I was ready to go.

According to the prophet Isaiah: even youth will grow weary; but those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength and we shall mount up with wings like eagles. 

May you be granted the peace that comes with knowing that God is with you and no matter what the storm, the Lord will lift you up.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: