Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Walls

And he built fenced cities in Judah: for the land had rest, and he had no war in those years; because the Lord had given him rest.


Therefore he said unto Judah, Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the Lord our God, we have sought him, and he hath given us rest on every side. So they built and prospered." 
                                    2 Chron 14:6-7 KJV

Walls were built around the cities in the land that God had given the Israelites. They were for their protection and it worked. Of course there were gates and entrances so that people could come and go. But, these gates and entrances provided a way for people with legitimate purposes to do so. Those who stood watch knew who entered and who left the cities. There was very little sneaking in by people who had minds to harm the inhabitants.

I have always believed that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I prefer taking precautions so that there never has to be offensive or defensive actions. As I get older, I really appreciate not having to get involved in either offensive nor defensive actions. I like peace. I like rest.

A few months ago a permit was pulled for a fence around the property we live on. It is almost completed. I think it will be finished rather quickly after yesterday. We live out in the country, with no immediate neighbors. A couple of times over the last month, I woke up in the very wee hours of the morning to find that someone is parking by our side yard on what can be barely called a street as it has grass not gravel or pavement. It is wooded between the house and the street, yet, they managed to park in the only spot that you can see the house clearly from the road. Early last evening, as I was preparing to cook a birthday supper for a nine year old on the grill, I heard a gunshot. I looked up to see a black truck parked in that "bare spot" next to the side yard. My son was heading across the yard. Very few words were exchanged. The man jumped into the truck and took off. 

I do not know what the guy was aiming at or if he was even aiming at anything. I do know that you do not stand on the street in front of someone else's house and fire guns. It just doesn't get it...

I really like peace. I have been around for a good many years and I have been around way too many fights where knives or guns were present and even used on occasion. I don't get too excited about it any more. It is more like exhausted. It is tiring having to deal with irresponsible and disrespectful people. Most of the incidents I've witnessed had something to do with someone being under the influence of something. It has made me to be as close to a prohibitionist as you can be without actually being one. 

I am also an advocate of being prepared to defend yourself and others. A fence is a good first step in being prepared. Then comes rest... 

May God grant us all peace and rest...

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: