Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Feed My Sheep

So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.
                                                                               (John 21:15-18 KJV)

When Jesus was being questioned and tortured; when he was being tried; Peter had denied knowing him three times. Now, Peter is called to affirm that he truly does love Jesus the same number of times that he had denied him. What is more, Jesus tells him to feed his flock; show the world that he is his follower by feeding his lambs, feeding his sheep. He is to go forth, following in Jesus' footsteps, doing the things that he has done. He is to feed his people both physically and spiritually. He is to follow Jesus and take up his cross, even to death and Peter will die for following and proclaiming the Good News that Jesus died and yet lives.. 

We too, have denied Jesus in many ways and for many more times than Peter did. What will we do to show the world that we truly love the one who was willing to die for the sins of all people? How will we testify to this great love? Will we take up our cross? Will we follow? Will we feed his sheep along the way?

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: