Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Living In God's Presence

Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. (Psalm 42:8 KJV)

The Psalmist is going through some rough times; yet, he still seeks the love of the Lord. We all go through rough times. That is often the hand that we are dealt. Still, we hope in the Lord. We seek His presence and his lovingkindness. The world may make that love feel obscured; but, it is there even when we can't recognize it. All who trust in the Lord seek to better understand and know his love through prayer. 

Over the years I have found that I really like my alone time with God. When my grandchildren were young, I was pretty active with my grandchildren. But, there were times when they wanted me to go someplace when I really preferred the solitude rather than crowds. I would tell them "Gramma just can't go. I'm a hermit." Of course, I am not. I spend a lot of time alone with God. But, I am not a total recluse either. I have no problem being with people and in the community quite a bit. There are just a few things that are a bit too noisy for me. 

The noise; the busyness of towns and cities bring disruptions to my prayer life. Crowds crowd out my opportunity to just be with God. I have found that I relish my time out in the woods or on the water or even walking through cemeteries where I know that I will have the quiet to listen to and hear God speak. 

I retire early each evening and rise early every morning so that I can be assured that I will have the quiet time to commune with God in prayer. I need His presence. I need his lovingkindness and it is just too easy to lose track of that when in crowds. 

During the day when trouble seems to surround me I seek His loving presence and during the night his song is with me and I can know the joy and peace that only He can give.

In spite of the troubles that might assail us; the world and all of God's creation; all of God's people, are gifts to us. They are to be enjoyed. But, the greatest gift ever is the gift of eternal life in God's presence through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, our Lord. 

Let us sing songs of praise in thanksgiving to Him all the days of our lives.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: