Sunday, August 25, 2019

Vespers

Holy Transfiguration Skete at Jacob's Falls

"Lord, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.

Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.

Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practise wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties."
                                                           (Psalm 141:1-4 KJV)


"Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." I have missed the Evening Prayers. I was able to attend the Vespers Service at the Holy Transfiguration Skete, a Catholic Monastery of the Byzantine Rite, last night. It has been a few years since I was able to be there. I miss the reverence of the service; the quietness of the sanctuary. The sincere sounds of confession, petititions, the affirmation of God's promises, and the melodious sound of scripture being chanted.

Simply put: I have missed the liturgy and it was a relief to be there. I have attended Vespers whenever I have been able to since 1996 when I served as a Vicar to Keweenaw Lutheran Ministries, a church without walls. At that time the sanctuary was still in the monks' living room in a little cabin on the shore of Lake Superior. With the direction and help of God, much has been accomplished over the years.  

Over the years; wherever I have lived, I have attempted to either implement a Vespers Service at congregations that I served or to find a Lutheran Vespers Service that I could attend to no avail. I miss the solemnity of the service; the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.


"As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me.

Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice." 

                                                                             (Psalm 55:16-17)

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: