Monday, August 19, 2019

Preaching and Teaching

Sing with joy about what God
in Christ Jesus has done for you.
And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
                                                   (Acts 28:30-31 KJV)

I have never been a huge fan of contemporary worship. I am not against it. I just lean more toward a liturgical style and hymns rather than praise music. That being said, yesterday I worshiped with Lakeside Covenant Fellowship Church, Baraga, MI, a small congregation that uses a contemporary style of worship and found it quite worshipful! I appreciated both the music and the sermon because the entire service focused on Jesus! Does it surprise you that I'm excited about that? Well, I am. I was fed with the Word and that always is relief because I have been in services where I want to scream out, "Please, say something about Jesus, already!" 

Much of the praise music I have heard in the past has tended to talk about what we do for God rather than what God has done for us. That was not what I heard yesterday. The praise music was all about what God has done and continues to do for us. 

The sermon was a unique and captivating blend of teaching and preaching.  I have heard a lot of preachers try to blend the two into a sermon; but, very few have managed it so that it kept my attention throughout the whole sermon.  But, Rachel's skills as an elementary school teacher (gifts of God endued by the Holy Spirit) were evident as she proclaimed the Lord Jesus Christ with heart-felt enthusiasm and love. 

I am in transition right now having recently retired from the ministry and taking full advantage of being able to worship with various congregations in the area  and to hear the preaching of the kingdom of God and the teaching of those things which concern the Lord, Jesus the Christ with all confidence and boldness. So, don't be too surprised if I show up to worship with you.

May God bless us and keep us all teaching and preaching what concerns the Kingdom of God and our Lord, Jesus the Christ.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: