Thursday, May 28, 2020

Weep With Them That Weep

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.  Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.  (Rom 12:15-18 KJV)

I find myself grieving over the death of George Floyd. I did not know him. I do not have to have known him or anyone else to grieve for him or with others. I do not have to have known him to weep over such a horrific event. It pains me to be reminded that not all of our law enforcement have the public's health and safety as a priority. It pains me to know that there are renegades within our law enforcement system that choose to flaunt their authority and use it to willfully damage and even destroy others.

This is not true of all law enforcement. I know many who work in law enforcement. At one point in my life, I worked in Administration for the Criminal Investigation Division at Camp Lejeune. I am still friends with some of the investigators. They were and are honest men and women with integrity. 

Unfortunately, the saying that bad cops get good cops killed is very true. What could and should be peaceful protests in Minneapolis has turned into rioting and looting that endanger not only good officers' lives; but, the lives of those who are protesting with the desire to have their voices heard in a peaceful manner. Destroying or looting local, privately owned businesses because of one (or four) bad cops definitely comes under the category of  paying evil for evil. It will not bring about peace or any justice in the world. 

On the other hand, I have also known others who have been victims of police brutality and believe it or not some of the victims were white and not all of them were male, either. It is so sad that some of our law enforcement communities end up including officers with so little empathy and very little integrity. They are for sure in the minority. Overall, the officers that I know have a great deal of integrity and empathy. People without those attributes tend to stay away from me; probably, because I have a low tolerance for bullies with big egos and I do not have a problem confronting them myself. But, there is a wise way to confront those who disturb peace and justice and there are ways that escalate the situations. When we confront evil, we must be wise in doing so or even more people may get hurt.

It is time for good cops to start exposing the bad cops to ensure that the people of their communities and they, themselves, are safe.

Many of us grieve today. Although, we did not know George Floyd, we weep that there could still be so much discrimination in the world today. We weep because there is so little peace and all too often not enough justice.

Paul reminds us in his letter to the Romans that we are not to be high-minded; thinking that we are better than anyone else. We are to not to repay evil with evil. We are to live honestly so that we might all live in peace and then we shall all rejoice!

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: