Monday, February 4, 2019

Our Strength; Rock; Fortress; Deliverer

I love you, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer,
  my God, my rock in whom I take refuge,
  my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
  so I shall be saved from my enemies.
                                            Psalm 18:1-2 NRSV



The Lord is our rock, our fortress, and our deliverer. There is no other who can or will save us from the destruction that is often brought upon by our own sinful ways.

It seems that as the years go by the world has gotten more evil, more sinful. But, I am not sure that it has. When I think about the medieval ages and the cruelty that was inflicted upon humankind by humankind, I am quite sure that the world is not worse. When I consider the arena and the  punishments of Jesus' day that included crucifixion, I am convinced that that cruelty has always existed in its evilest forms. It may seem like the world has gotten worse; but, has it really?  

But, when I consider that many would think that killing children moments before their birth; or that there are leaders and rebels who have no qualms against committing genocide against their neighbors for their personal goals, I am pretty confident that the world hasn't gotten any better, either. 

Who can we turn to in a world so fueled by ego and the desire for personal gain? There is none other than the Lord who is our strength; our rock; our fortress; our deliverer; the One in whom we can take refuge.

Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy upon us all.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: