Monday, February 17, 2020

Where Two Or Three Are Gathered

Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (Matt 18:19-20 KJV)

I have not yet found a permanent place to worship since my retirement. I have resisted leading Worship or Sunday School in my home - until yesterday. There were three of us including a young girl who has also been wanting to be able to learn more about Jesus. Our scripture lesson was from Matthew: the two greatest commandments according to Jesus. We also discussed how those two commandments cover all ten that were given to Moses. 

We are a small group. It reminds of my time serving Keweenaw Lutheran Ministries as a mission developer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in 1990's. I led worship at four or five different locations every week in addition to a couple of Bible Studies. Attendance could get very low. There was one time that Eva Komula (keyboard musician) from Mohawk and I were leading worship at the historic Lutheran church in Jacobsville. It was the first service after the church was opened in the spring. The snow was still on the ground and it was cold! We had to walk in to the church from the road because the driveway was still too snowy to drive in. We were the only one's there. Eva insisted that we should worship even though there were only two of us. We did. What a wonderful, faithful companion in the ministry she was! There were only two of us in the flesh present that evening; but, Jesus was with us as he is whenever two or three are gathered in his name; as he is all of the time. Fortunately, the following Sundays were a bit warmer and less snowy and attendance grew. 

There were three of us gathered to hear the Word of the Lord yesterday morning: three plus Jesus. If it is God's will, we will grow. But, in the meantime where two or three are gathered Jesus is there so we will continue in the knowledge that he hears our prayers and answers.

God's Peace - Pr. J.

No comments: