Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A Time To Smile And A Time To Not

There is a time for everything,    
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance...
Eccl 3:1,4

The dolphin appears to have a pleasant and peaceful disposition. Most appear to have perpetual smiles upon their faces. Even the killer whale, a species of dolphins, has a smile on its face.

I have learned over time to be just a little suspicious of those who have perpetual smiles on their faces; those who are always happy, happy, happy...  I am especially suspicious of preachers who smile and laugh all of the time.

That being said, I admit, I smile a lot. My kindergarten teacher nick-named me "Miss Sunshine." I am aware that at times it is irritating to others, especially when I smile as I am confronting someone. Yes, I confront people from time to time. It's in my job description to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the too comfortable." However, I also cry a lot. I tend to cry when I think that God was willing to sacrifice His only begotten Son for my sins; for the sins of the world. I tend to cry when I consider what he suffered for us. I tend to weep when I see the suffering that humankind would inflict upon one another.

There is a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance. Let us grieve our sinful natures and our inability to live lives that bring peace and reconciliation in the world around us; yet, let us rejoice that through our Lord Jesus we have been reconciled to God and one another in His Kingdom, even now.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: