Saturday, August 27, 2016

An Unexpected Journey


As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.

When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. Mark 1:16-19

I watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey again last night. It was probably the third or fourth time I've seen it. I can't remember, for sure, how many times it's been. In fact, I didn't remember many of the scenes, so it was like watching it for the first time all over again. I first read the book forty-two years ago - a little strange that I can remember that!

I love that little hobbit, who took a chance; left his family and friends; left the comfort and safety of his home (most unlike a hobbit) to go on a very unexpected journey with some very strange traveling companions.

My life has been a strange and unexpected journey. By the time, I was thirty-five years old my life had been more full than I could ever have imagined it could be. I was ready to go home to my Father's house. But, the journey goes on. Yes, I have had to leave behind family and friends on more than one occasion. But, wherever I have been, I have found people to love and who care about me.

I have also had to face much adversity, including more than a few proverbial monsters. Adversity comes with the territory. Facing dragons and orcs happens; confronting evil happens, when one is in the company of Jesus. But, do not be afraid! God is with you! What can be more awesome than that?

It's been quite a journey! A journey that has not quite ended and never will as long as I stay in Jesus' company. Won't you come with me? Won't you walk with Jesus? I promise the journey with him is far more exciting than walking alone or staying at home where there is a perceived comfort and safety in this world. With him, you will know real peace regardless of the turmoil around you.

When Jesus called those first disciples, they didn't say, I have to do this or that first. They didn't say I have other obligations. They left everything and everyone behind to begin a very unexpected journey. There lives did not become peaches and cream. But, they were definitely action packed as they learned how to fish for people.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: