Sunday, August 14, 2016

Be Filled With The Holy Spirit; not spirits!


"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Eph 5:18-19 NIV

A few members of the congregation that I recently began to serve have been asking to know more about me personally. Here's a "biggy." I use to drink. When I was young, I could party quite heartily. But, things changed. I grew up. I also came to have a personal relationship with God the Father; God the Son; God the Holy Spirit. I no longer drink. My partying is pretty much restricted to worshipping God; giving thanks to Him with psalms, hymns, and songs. I have found no greater way to celebrate life than to live my life in Christ and I have indeed sought other ways. They didn't work. They were paths that led to destruction; while the Spirit of Christ leads to life.

I did not get much sleep last night. Today, I have a full schedule ahead of me. There is a Bible Study in just a few hours; then worship; then a Memorial Service and a fellowship this afternoon. I did not get much sleep because I was concerned about the safety of my family. My son and his family have been visiting from Michigan. They have been staying at an RV park near us. Last night some very young adults rented the little cabin behind them. They thought it was a good idea to have a party that included a lot of underage drinkers. They built a bonfire out of pallets under the old Magnolia tree, which just happens to also hang over the camper my family was staying in. They loaded up four and more pallets on the fire. In order to make room for more pallets on the fire they would stand in the middle of the fire and dance on the pallets. The bon-fire was about ten feet from the camper that we own. The flames were coming quite close to the Spanish Moss hanging in the old Magnolia Tree. They decided to cut more wood on the site we had rented. The inebriated teens were asked to please stop and not put any more wood on the fire as there were children in the camper sleeping and it was a concern for the children's safety. They laughed. They were warned that the police would be called. They laughed again. The police came; but, not before the teens were warned that they were coming. Most of the really under-aged drinkers left before the police arrived. The police came. They had them dump out all of the alcohol. The police left. Someone went for more alcohol. They continued to drink and stoked up the fire once again. One young man threw wood and sloshed his alcohol against the camper.  Therefore; I did not get much sleep last night wondering if my family would be burned to death in their sleep because young people chose to get high on alcoholic spirits. Young people (yes, some legal adults; but, not legal drinking age) decided their right to the pursuit of happiness outweighed the well-being and safety of others. 

Over the years, I have come about as close to being a prohibitionist as one can be, without actually being a prohibitionist. I have seen too much depression; suicide; murder; drunk driving deaths; drug and alcohol overdoses leading to comas and deaths; physical and emotional abuse; deaths of very young people due to the toll alcohol and drugs take on body, mind, and spirit; just to name a few of the side affects, to even consider that abuse of drugs, legal or illegal, to be a good thing. A drink or two with friends is one thing; but, to endanger your life and the lives of others just so you can get drunk and act foolish is another. There are better, much better ways to enjoy and live life. And... so there you have it. Not a popular opinion; but, you did want to know a little bit more about me.

Do not be filled with the spirits of alcohol and other drugs. Be filled with the Spirit of Christ. In him, you will know a joy and a peace that cannot be found in chemicals.

May God fill each of you with the Holy Spirit so that you might celebrate life with hymns and songs of thanksgiving for the life that God has given you.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: