Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Teaching Preaching


So is my word that goes out from my mouth:    It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
You will go out in joy
Isaiah 55:11 NIV

Today is the day, I begin attempt to teach laity to preach. They are preparing to bring the Good News to Senior Housing residents and Nursing Homes. Prayers are requested; especially for those who will be trying to learn from me! Although, my major was in elementary teaching, I am not much of a teacher. I find preaching much less stressful. And... yes, there is a difference between teaching and preaching, even if preaching should teach us something about the Word, the word, and God's will for us.

In Lay School, the instructor tried without success to get me to use that three point system I learned in High School for essays. I didn't feel very comfortable using the standard format for an essay to proclaim the Good News. It just seemed to be too contrived. I prefer a more relaxed style as often happens when the Spirit leads us where God would have us go. Later, in seminary at Wartburg, I was most fortunate to have Dr. Samuel Giere as my homiletics instructor. From him, I learned much! Thanks be to God working through Dr. Giere!

I don't know how these sessions on teaching preaching are going to turn out. But, God does and He promises that His word will not return to Him empty. May he bless each of us with gifts to proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom through Jesus Christ our Lord.

God's Peace - Pr. J

No comments: